My Syracuse University’s LLL and LECNY presentation
Formulaic language – prefabricated language chunks memorized and retrieved as a whole -Wray, 2008
– Used often by native speakers
– Mentally processed faster
– Many components
– Closed and open
– Part of ACTFL 2012 guidelines
Note: Learned as a whole, no grammatical knowledge
– Focus on communication
– Use high frequency real life use questions and answers (Check WL TV shows/ movies)
– Give a purpose to each class (asking and answering the question)
– Do variations on a question word
– Use for common topics
– Make sure students can answer the question
– Practice many, many. many times each class so students can ask and answer
– Create cumulative conversation
Practicality: Use ACTFL Interpersonal Can- Do Statements as guidelines for creating questions.
Communication value: If students learn 1 question and answer(s) per day x 150 days = 150 different questions and answers. WOW!
How do your students use formulaic language in your classroom?
40+Spanish & WL spontaneous speaking activities and some cultural activities http://bit.ly/wlspt.
A collection of 13 beginning student activities Spanish speaking activities about school and classes http://bit.ly/ssclassessp